Motorcycle camping for days at a time, riding from national park to national park is one of our absolute favorite things to do. Traveling on a bike means you are limited to what can fit on your moto, and space is reserved for the essentials. One of our all time favorite and most used items is a Jetboil. These small camp stoves can boil water within a few seconds which makes dinner so much easier and a quick cup of coffee possible. A lot of us have dietary restrictions, some of us NEED that hot cup of coffee when we wake up, and since a lot of national parks do not allow fires, this unit is perfect if you need to heat up that gas station Chef Boyardee or that can of soup you picked up at the last gas stop. In the spirit of wandering countless miles and always starting with a hot beverage and ending with a warm meal, we have partnered with Jetboil to gives away some of their MiniMo Cooking Systems at the Moto FAM raffle.
We've got some amazing food trucks heading to Babes Ride Out 5 but we know some of you are traveling multiple days or some of you rather make your own food at camp. Here are just a few roadside recipes make with a Jetboil that we LOVE! There are a ton of ways you can use this unit to make meals and beverages while motorcycling so get creative, test them out, and let us know you if have a good one you'd like to share.
Pizza In A Pot
From: Trail Cooking Website (www.trailcooking.com)
"Italian inspired couscous tossed with meat and cheese."
Sounds yummy to us!
- 2/3 cup of couscous
- 1 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp diced dried bell peppers
- 1 Tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tsp dried basil
- 1/4 Tsp dried garlic, powder or diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (1 packet)
- 4 oz shelf stable pre-sliced pepperoni slices (see notes)
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese (see notes)
- Add 1 cup of water to your cooking system and bring to a boil
- Turn off the stove and add in the dry ingredients, oil and pepperoni. Stir well, put the lid on tightly and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Dice the cheese, fold in and let sit for a minute.
- Shelf stable pepperoni is often sold next to the deli meats in grocery stores but doesn't need to be kept cold until opened.
- For the mozzarella cheese, use 2 pieces of string cheese. It is fine to carry for a couple days, it will get soft but is edible.
Jetboil Mac & Cheese
Everyone needs a little comfort food - even on the trail. Here's a quick, light and easy way to enjoy your macaroni & cheese.
Ingredients: One box of Mac and Cheese
- For one serving, boil 2 cups of water and add 2 packages of noodles.
- Keep an eye on the noodles and stir often so they don't stick, allowing them to simmer until soft.
- Put your Jetboil lid on and drain some of the water (no all as you need some to make the sauce)
- Add cheese packets and stir. Mmmmmmm!
30 Second Hot Chocolate
When hot chocolate takes 30 seconds to make, you might start drinking a lot more of it. We won't hold it against you if you buy the packets of Swiss Miss or Carnation, but here's a good recipe if you're a diehard do-it-yourselfer.
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered non-dairy creamer
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: instant coffee
- To one cup hot water, add 1/3 cup dry mix (about four to six heaping tablespoons) and stir well. Add a little instant coffee for mocha. Life is good.
Mmm S'mores Cocktail | Love at First Sip!
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 3 Tbsp dry milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 oz chocolate liqueur (Kahlua or Amaretto)
- 2 Tbsp mini marshmallows
- Add 1 cup hot water to the cocoa mix, stir in the liquor and top with marshmallows.
- Note: A packet of hot cocoa mix can be substituted for the cocoa and milk powders.